The FR2DAY survival guide to getting the best out of the Cannes Film Festival
It's going to be 12 days of mayhem as the circus that is the Cannes Film Festival comes to town. Here is FR2DAY's essential list of the top 10 must-haves for surviving the next fortnight of screenings, power breakfasts and parties in style.
1. Carry an umbrella. The film festival is synonymous with rain and unless you want your mascara to run before you've even stepped onto the red carpet, be prepared. The best places to pick one up are the large pharmacies along Rue d'Antibes which offer a good selection of small handbag size umbrellas or Monoprix, which has some larger, more manly sized options.
2. Flat shoes are essential, ladies. The traffic along the Croisette is like Piccadilly Circus in rush hour, so in order to get from one place to another, the easiest and quickest way is on foot. Pop a pair of flip flops into your handbag so you can get where you need to be quickly and comfortably before changing into your killer heels.
3. A pocket map of Cannes. Drop by the tourist office (right next to the Palais) and pick up their small town map. This little gem is the perfect size for fitting into your pocket, handbag or wallet and is still large enough to show all of Cannes plus the additional information you might need such as the train station, the Palais des Festivals or the bus station.
4. Efferalgan Vitamin C booster. This beauty is a combination of vitamin C with paracetamol. After a long raucous night of celebrity spotting and champagne cocktails, this is the perfect pick me up first thing in the morning. It can be bought
from any pharmacy in Cannes. Always read the label.
5. Nice Airport Express. The cheapest way to get to and from the airport in Nice. Tickets can be bought opposite the bus stop, directly outside departures, and cost €28 return or €14 one way. The buses run every 30 minutes, starting from 7am until 7pm, however please check as times change during the festival. Pick up and drop off point in Cannes is in front of the town hall next to the Vieux Port.
6. Queuing is a necessary evil. Whether it is for a film, the loo or a drink, be prepared to queue. Confidence is key - jumping club queues requires a purposeful stride, a smidgeon of arrogance, well dressed attire and a foreign accent to get in front while ordering a drink requires money on show and a very loud voice!
7. Film screening tickets. During the festival, there is always a time when free tickets are given out, some of which can be for the top films, allowing you to work the red carpet and enjoy the view from the top of the stairs. Please check at the Cannes Tourist Board for more information on sale times.
8. Cabs. Be aware that all taxis on the Cote d'Azur are horrendously expensive so unless you have a money tree in your hotel room, I'd suggest the following: Always insist the counter is turned on the moment you get into the car and confirm the normal price for the journey - the Palais to the Carlton should NOT be €8! Also, check the counter number is on the correct setting, as per the UK, there are three - 1 for the day, 2 for the evening and 3 for the night/early morning until 7am. Try and cab-share by asking in the taxi queue where people are going and suggest sharing to cut costs. And finally, never get into a car that has more than one person inside - all legitimate taxis only have one person which is the driver.
9. Reserve, reserve, reserve. Restaurants, taxis and even sunbeds need reserving during the Film Festival so planning in advance is a must. If all else fails then revert to survival guide point number 6 and work it! Our friends at Ubique Lifestyle are generally good for getting a table to the hottest restaurant at the last minute so why not give them a call.
10. Last and most importantly be sure to check out FR2DAY. Log onto the ultimate insider guide to check out what's happening where and when during the Cannes Film Festival. We will have everything you need to know including exclusive behind the scenes reviews and photos from the celebrity parties, top tips, gossip, news and much, much more.
Make sure you check us out for all the latest news, party gossip and chat from the Cannes Film Festival as it happens.